Friday, January 16, 2015

Before & After: Nubbin Camouflage

(Nothing to disclose)

Hello!

I don't know about you, but when I have an ugly break, the kind that takes off a third of an inch of nail way back below the end of my finger, it breaks my heart to cut the rest down to match. I can cut them back most of the way, but it takes me a week or so to work up the heart to cut them all the way.

So, I wondered...could I play around with nail art a little to make it so the nubbin didn't look quite so out of place among the other nails while my mind processed the full nail tragedy? Since I broke the ring finger this time, my mind began to work overtime on the possibilities.

Here's what I came up with.

I started with a green base on three nail, since today's theme in the Crumpet Nail Tarts 31 day challenge is 'green base', and went from there. For step one, I put China Glaze Be More Pacific on the pinkie, middle and index, and Zoya Lianne on the ring and thumb, topped with a coat of Nail'd It Fall Flowers:


Step one: Operation Nubbin Camouflage
Step one: Operation Nubbin Camouflage

Step one: Operation Nubbin Camouflage


The idea here was that by painting it a different color, the whole 'one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other' would pull the eye and attribute some of the visual discrepancy to the different color. It worked to a degree, but I felt like it needed a little more. So, I sponged a little of Fall Flowers onto the cuticle area of the other nails, to break up the space on those nails:



Step two: Operation Nubbin Camouflage
Step two: Operation Nubbin Camouflage

Step two: Operation Nubbin Camouflage

So what do you think, did it work? It definitely made me feel like it was pretty, even if not perfectly even. Of course, the big-girl thing to do is just suck it up and even them out...sigh...In the meantime, I suppose I can always walk around like this:




Hope you're having a great week!
M.

16 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean when you say it breaks your heart to take down the length of all of your nails because of one low break, Michelle! I can't do it either -- I'll take off as much of it as I feel comfortable with and, like you, wait for a while, then take down more. Or not! Sometimes, if the break is on an index or pinkie finger nail, I feel ok about just keeping the rest at a shorter level until the broken nail grows out to the same length. But when the break is a middle or ring finger nail, it can be too noticeable to get away with this... unless you do something totally brilliant like what you've done here! I think the accent nail camoflauges the short nails amazingly well! Way to grow! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Isn't it the worst?! Small little chips I can hack. Big breaks are just not cool. Sometimes if I get a rip I can at least patch it until it grows out enough to not be completely tiny, but in this case the whole shebang went...sigh...

      Delete
  2. That lime green is such a fun color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's my favorite color from that collection. Very soothing!

      Delete
  3. this is a beautiful combination of colors together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! One of those cases where I took the glitter and just put it next to a bunch of stuff until I saw a pairing that just jumped out at me. :)

      Delete
  4. My sympathies! I don't like cutting mine back after a break either, but I'm uber bugged out when my nails are uneven. :( Your hack does help hide difference in length tho I think painting the other nails a darker color than the accidental accent might help more since dark colors visually shrink things while lighter colors seem to expand them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really excellent point, I will try that next time. You're handy to have around...pun intended! <3

      Delete
    2. I gotta use my edumacation for something good! LOL

      Delete
    3. Oh...darn...I didn't know that was the rule...LOL

      Delete
  5. Genius! :) I'm dealing with a horrible break on my thumb right now and will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked pretty good for me...I just worked up the courage to cut the others down tonight...>.<

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous, and the colours are amazing. I would never have considered using shades like this together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day--leave me a comment!