Saturday, January 17, 2015

NOTD: Veronika Layne Gets The Scoop!

(Nothing to disclose)

Hello!

A few nights back, I got to go to my very first book launch party! This was an especially fun event for me, because I know the author, and have read the book--so of course I had to do a manicure for it. :)

The book, Veronika Layne Gets the Scoop by Julia Park Tracey, is a mystery/romance/chick-lit romp with some history thrown in for good measure. The heroine is Veronika Layne, a reporter for a small-town newspaper that's taken over by a big conglomerate. In the course of her reporting (sort of), she discovers that some builders seem to be destroying Native American 'shell mounds' in their haste to make a buck, and decides she needs to find out what's going on. It's a fast-paced, fun read perfect for a winter afternoon or a beach read. She has two more books in the series on the way, and I'm looking forward to reading them. Oh, and if you have Kindle Unlimited, you can read the book for free right now!

Anyway, the point is, I decided to do a manicure based on her cover art:






I made a sky gradient with  Zoya Rocky and Color Club Endless Summer for the background; then I stamped Bundle Monster 503 to get the cityscape. Since the shell mounds play a central role in the book, I wanted to focus on recreating that element; I free-handed the hand holding the shell with acrylic paints, except for the thumbnail on the hand, which is Barry M Silver Foil.



Veronika Layne Gets The Scoop!
Veronika Layne Gets The Scoop!

Zoya Rocky and Color Club Endless Summer

Bundle monster 503 and some freehand art. :)

What do you think? I think I could have gone a shade darker with the gradient, and the shell is not the best thing I've ever drawn, but I'm pretty pleased with the hand (they're so hard!) and I think I captured the overall spirit.

Congratulations Julia on your launch! I enjoyed reading the book so much, and need you to get the next one out ASAP!!

Hugs,
M.

10 comments:

  1. Any manicure with Rocky in it can do no wrong by me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree. I adore that blue. Just on its own, too, but especially for nail art--I've used it as a sky color so many times!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous mani - that blue is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really knocked it out of the park with that one. :)

      Delete
  3. Love that blue! Very nice nail art too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My scallop shell definitely needs work, but it's much better than my free-hand used to be...:)

      Delete
  4. omg, I could not have asked for a nicer homage! You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, pretty sure you're the rock star. I really enjoyed the book--hurry up with the next one already! ;-)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!