Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: China Glaze Bohemian Collection--Part I

Hello Everyone!

Today I got my China Glaze Bohemian polishes...I've been waiting to get my hands on this collection for months, and finally it's here!

I want to get these swatches up for you as soon as possible, but it became apparent quickly that one or two photos each of these beauties will not do a good enough job representing them. So, I'm going to show two of them here, and three of them in a post tomorrow. For the remaining polish in the collection, I'll do a Dupe Or No Dupe post; Rare & Radiant is supposedly a dupe for Chanel's Peridot, and so is OPI's Just Spotted The Lizard, which means Rare & Radiant and Just Spotted The Lizard should be dupes of one another. I'll compare them so you can decide if you need them both. This will hopefully help out any of you who are concerned about cruelty-free issues, since China Glaze does not test on animals, but OPI is owned by a parent company (Coty) that does.  :)

Okay, let's get to it! The Bohemian Collection consists of 6 polishes which have an ethereal type of feel. Most of them are duochromes/multichromes, although to my mind there is one that is clearly not intended to be (Want My Bawdy). I think it's really pretty in its own right, and I think it's getting short-shrift from people who think it should be a duochrome, but I'll let you make your own call on that. ;-)

All of the polishes have a good formula, typical China Glaze, although some clearly need two coats while others do not.

On to the polishes! First up is Swanky Silk:

China Glaze Bohemian Collection--Swanky Silk

China Glaze Swanky Silk--note the shift froms rose to gold

China Glaze Swanky Silk--goes to darker gold at the edges

China Glaze Swanky Silk in direct sunlight
 Swanky silk is a rose-gold duochrome. It shows more rose that I was able to pick up in the pictures--the second picture is closest in that respect. The color shifts through a rose gold to a gold gold to a more bronze-y gold. The shift is very clear and strong, but the color itself is subtle. With my skin it actually functioned as a neutral, but you couldn't want a more feminine, beautiful neutral. I don't have anything like this, nor have I seen anything like this anywhere, and I love it.

Swanky Silk definitely needed two coats for full coverage.


Next is Unpredictable:

China Glaze Bohemian Collection--Unpredictable

China Glaze Unpredictable--blue blue blue

China Glaze Unpredictable--subtle shift from gold to green to blue

China Glaze Unpredictable--lit from the side, the shift deepens

China Glaze Unpredictable--Lit from the side, now there is a brown/gold note

Even in direct sunlight some shift remains.

Unpredictable is well-named in that even for a duochrome, you get more and different shift when the light hits it at different angles. This polish is a blue-green duochrome that goes from full blue to full green, and also shows flashes of gold and brown. When the light hits it more directly, the blues and greens stay more true; when the light hits it from the side, you get more of the brown and gold. And while direct light kills most duochromes to some degree, this one still shows a shift. albeit a more subtle one. Again I have nothing like this in my collection and can't recall seeing anything like this.

I have two coats here, but possibly could have gotten away with only one if I'd been careful.

These two are my favorites in the collection. I love the range of colors in both, and while Unpredictable is a bit bolder and fun, Swanky Silk is more elegant and subdued. They are both gems that I recommend highly! :)

Thanks for stopping by,

M.

(The products in this review were purchased with my own money.)



2 comments:

  1. The more and more I see Unpredictable, the more I'm convinced it's a dupe of Topshop Eclipse/Eye Candy Green With Envy. I think I'm gonna have to buy it just to check! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...it may be. Sadly, my source for British polish fell through, so I am a Topshop free zone...*weeps uncontrollably*

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!