Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dupe Or No Dupe: China Glaze Ruby Pumps vs. Sally Girl 'Glitter' Snowman

Hello!!

The other day I hit up the year-end clearance sale at Sally Beauty, and was delighted to find a couple of the Sally Girl snowmen polishes red-tagged. I picked up 'Sparkle', an iridescent topper, and 'Glitter', a red glitter. As I was staring at it, I couldn't help but wonder how close it was to China Glaze's Ruby Pumps, so I decided to do a comparison post on it. Here they are in the bottle:

China Glaze Ruby Pumps vs. Sally Girl 'Glitter' Snowman


Here are two coats of Ruby Pumps and Sally Girl 'Glitter' snowman; each color is on two fingers (I'll say which at the end). Can you tell them apart?

China Glaze Ruby Pumps vs. Sally Girl 'Glitter' snowman (indoor lightbox)

Ruby Pumps vs. 'Glitter', outside overcast light

Ruby Pumps vs. 'Glitter', overcast outdoor light

Ruby Pumps vs. 'Glitter', indirect light

What do you think? I call DUPE. I personally can't tell the difference in these pictures, nor could I tell a difference in real life...with one exception. The formula on these do differ; 'Glitter' dries a bit more gritty, and it took two coats of topcoat to smooth it out and make it look like Ruby Pumps did with one coat of topcoat. So while the final look is the same, it did take extra topcoat to get it like that.

So should you own them both? There's no reason to, unless you like having the cute little snowman bottle (no judgment from me, I think it's pretty darned cute!).

Which one should you buy, if you don't have either yet? In my opinion, I'd probably go for the China Glaze, so I wouldn't have to worry about the extra layer of topcoat. But, that depends on where you get your China Glaze, as prices vary, if you can find the snowmen on sale, and how pricey your topcoat is. I use a fairly expensive topcoat (Seche Vite) since I do a lot of stamping and nail art, so for me the savings isn't really there.

So for all you out there who will be making that dash to Sally Beauty and might be choosing between these polishes, I hope this helped out a bit. :)

(Oh, and btw--the Ruby Pumps was on the index and middle fingers. :) )

Thanks for reading!

Xoxox,
M.

12 comments:

  1. I love dupe posts!

    I wish we could get these Snowmen, and the pumpkins, in the UK :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, seeing as how you are my official 300th follower, it would be my honor to send this one and 'Sparkle' to you as my thank you for your support. If you send me a mailing address to lacquerorleaveher@gmail.com. (no worries, I can always get more!) :)

      Delete
  2. Cute. little. snowman. bottle. <3

    and they don't really differ at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny nail polish. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is pretty funny. Happy New Year to you, too! :)

      Delete
  4. Good post! I had guessed the index and ring finger were the ChG, so it really is a true dupe, which is good for anyone who missed out of the snowman one if they wanted it since Ruby Pumps is a core collection polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It would have fooled me too if I hadn't made note of which fingers were which. When I was going to put on the second coat, I almost got confused about which was which...:)

      Delete
  5. What a spot on dupe post. wow. Since i have Ruby Pumps there is no need for me to go shopping for the snowman. He is cute, but i can live without

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Whatever form it's in, it's a pretty glitter, for sure!

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!