Friday, December 5, 2014

Comparison and Before & After: Censored Coffee

(Nothing to disclose)

Hello!!

Wow, it has been forever and a day since I've been able to do a comparison post! But, I finally have one for you, born from the accidental purchase of two polishes that look suspiciously similar once I had them in my hot little hands.

So let's take a look at Color Club Lion's Den versus Orly Brush It On. Both are gold-rust-pink duochrome wonders made of teeny flecks...Here they are in the bottle:

Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On
Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On


As you can see, the Orly looks darker by far...but some interesting things happened when I started playing with then.

Here they both are with no undies; Orly Brush It On is on my ring finger and thumb, Color Club Lion's Den is on the rest; this is three coats of each polish:


Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On
Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On

Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On
Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On

Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On


I expected to have coverage issues with Lion's Den rather than Brush It On, but the opposite happened; in most lights I had almost no VNL with Lion's Den, but even with three coats, Brush it on wasn't opaque. Lion's Den has a thicker layer of flecks in the polish, and can conceivably be worn alone; I wouldn't really suggest you do that with Brush It On. Also, the color difference wasn't nearly as big as I thought, although Brush it on was slightly darker.

I don't like to use three coats of anything, so I decided to treat these like topper and see what they looked like over undies; I chose China Glaze Brownstone, a red leaning brown; this is one coat of each polish over one coat of undie:



Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On over China Glaze Brownstone
Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On over China Glaze Brownstone

Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On over China Glaze Brownstone

Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On over China Glaze Brownstone

Color Club Lion's Den vs. Orly Brush It On over China Glaze Brownstone


Wow, wow, wow. In this case I like Brush It On a bit better--it looks like a gorgeous flakie topper that lets the base color shine through, and makes me deeply happy inside. Lion's Den is also beautiful, don't get me wrong; but it is thicker so you don't see as much of the base color. Either option is beautiful, but essentially Brush It On is more of a typical topper and Lion's Den adds more of itself to the dance.

I just bought some coffee-themed plates from MoYou London which I'll review for you tomorrow and the following day, but in the meantime I had to try them out. They're Cookbook Collection 03 and 04; I stamped using Konad White and Barielle Kiss Me Kate. I also did a dotticure on two fingers to go along with the background dots from the middle finger stamp. I seriously sliced my finger making dinner in between the painting and decorating, so I apologize for my censored pictures:






I chose Kiss Me Kate to stamp with because it's a beige with a hint of pink, and I thought that would go well with the colors underneath--I think it absolutely does, and it makes me wish I hadn't used white on the other two nails, lol.

So there you have it, a comparison of two beautiful fall polishes, along with a yummy coffee manicure. Now I think I have to go make myself a latte!

Hugs,
M.

10 comments:

  1. Did I hear coffee!?
    <3 Coffee nails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yeah you did! You need these plates if you love coffee nails, lol!! Tell one of your beaux to get them for you for Christmas. :)

      Delete
    2. I got concert tickets for a Valentines Special, and sexy underwear instead...
      It was worth a try, but seems like, for now, I will have to get my own plates :P

      Delete
    3. Um...sexy underwear AND nail plates. ::nods::

      Delete
  2. I like the Orly color much better than the Color Club one but there both pretty in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's what was so hard for me. The both perform so differently, and not the way you'd think from the bottles!

      Delete
  3. Do we have to hide the sharp things again? LOL I think I like the Orly better. I wonder what it would look like over a lighter color or even white? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, yes, lol! And the day after I did that was the day I sliced my nail. Both times it was when DH was talking to me while I was cooking--and not just talking, but telling me I was doing it wrong. I told him he's no longer allowed in my kitchen, lol!! And interesting question...I'll have to try that.

      Delete
  4. Naturally I love this (mmm, coffee)! That Orly looks great as a topper and am curious too how they'd both look over a lighter base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, okay then...looks like I'll have to try it for you guys...sigh...:P

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!