Monday, August 19, 2013

Before & After: Metallic Sugar Skulls

Hello!

This week in the Kimber's Challenge, we're doing a metallic theme. I didn't want to go for the obvious, so I tried out something a bit different for me...

First off, I started off with a PINK base polish--I know, right?--Finger Paints I Spy-Der:

Finger Paints I Spy-Der, artificial light

This is a fairly sheer polish that I think is meant for layering; this is three coats and there were still some bald areas. I left it like that because I knew I was going to be topping it with other things. :)

Next, I added a coat of LynBdesigns Wait Wait Wait Is This A Kissing Book?, which is a gold-and-magenta flake polish. I then added to this with some nail foil; I used one which is a rainbow of purple, orange and gold, to build on the metallic speck look. I finished off with a sugar skull from Cheeky Jumbo plate 1; I stamped it with Barry M Silver Foil and layered some heart and circle studs for dimension:


Beware the crazy eyes...





What do you think, is it metallic enough? I can't tell if I think that skull is just creepy or on a crazy acid trip. Well, I suppose there's no need to decide...

Thanks for taking a look, and don't forget the other metallic manis, linked below. :)

Hugs and loves,
M.

21 comments:

  1. Hahaha skull candy looks marvelous! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yesssss!!! I was hoping the result would qualify as badass--it can be hard to get there when you start with pink sometimes tho! :)

      Delete
  3. I think this is amazing.. The skull is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun sugar skull! Looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool manicure! I love the use you did of foils! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love foils so much--they give really cool depth and shine so brightly in the light...

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I did love it, I must admit. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness I love everything about your mani! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooOOooOOOve (yep, that much :)) the flaked&foiled background!!!

    ..the skull not so much (I just never really understood that trend/craze a few years back with skulls (and bones and whatnot) everywhere..yuck)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love flakies and I'm loving foil when applied randomly like that--not so much when it covers the full nail.

      I have to admit I am sort of a closet skull girl--they of course don't make for good professional attire, but I love to sneak them in where I can!

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!