Sunday, August 25, 2013

Dupe Or No Dupe: Julep Angela vs. Sally Hansen Black And Blue

(Products in this post were purchased by me.)

Hello!

It's been a while since I've done one of these, and I miss them!

In a recent Julep box, I received the lovely Angela, a dark blue-black-silver-purple duochrome that I love. But as I was swatching it, I realized that it reminded me of something...and finally remembered, Sally Hansen Black and Blue! Take a look at the two in the bottle:



Sally Hansen Black And Blue vs. Julep Angela

Sally Hansen Black and Blue is on the left, and Julep Angela is on the right. The purple shift is more pronounced in the Sally Hansen, but it's possible that's due to the shape of the bottle--if you look closely, you can definitely see the same purple in the Julep.

So let's have a look on the nail. I alternated the polishes, starting with Julep Angela on the index finger, Black And Blue on the middle, Angela on the ring, Black And Blue on the pinky. This is with no underwear, and I put on two coats:






So what's the verdict? No Dupe, but only as a matter of degree. Angela is darker, and has very blackened edges with two coats. Black and Blue is a bit lighter, and shows the shift in a more pronounced way. The difference isn't huge, but it's there. I personally think you only need to own one of these.

So which one should you buy? The first and most important consideration is whether or not you have a color preference; if so, go with that. But if you don't, I think it would depend on which you can get for the better price--Julep tends to be more expensive, especially if you buy the Sally Hansen on sale and/or with a coupon. Another consideration is that while Sally Hansen itself doesn't test on animals, it's owned by a parent company that does. While I'm willing personally to buy from subsidiaries as long as they don't test on animals, if I have an option that is not owned by a parent company that tests on animals, I prefer to go with that, so I'd choose Julep in this case.

What do you think? Close enough that you don't need both? Do you prefer the lighter or the darker?

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you're having a great weekend!
M.

(Products in this post were purchased by me.)

6 comments:

  1. Great comparison of the two! They look really similar but there definitely not dupes. Both are pretty regardless though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm not sure if I'll keep both or give one away, but I'm glad I own at least one!! :)

      Delete
  2. OOhhhh different enough to justify both I think! They are both stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are...I love darker polishes with duochrome like that!

      Delete
  3. Applauding your integrity in cruelty free issues! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I try, but I feel like it's getting harder and harder these days. It seems like more brands are going over to the dark side--I'm waiting to find out if Revlon stays cruelty-free or not. I really hope so!! Thank goodness for indie polishes...if all else fails, we always have those. :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!