Thursday, August 1, 2013

Before & After: Pointillism

Hello!

This week in the Llama Nails 'Inspired By Artists' challenge, we're on Georges Seurat. Seurat is an impressionist who used a technique called Pointillism, which is the use of very small brushstrokes, often just dots, to make paintings. I've seen some of his stuff up close, and it's amazing what he manages to do with just teeny little dots.

I wanted to start off with a nude-ish base so that I could try to do something pretty over it, but I still wanted the base to be pretty too, because I knew it would be visible. So I started with a base of Julep Cassie, a soft peach creme that is near nude against my skin:


Julep Cassie, direct sunlight (two coats with topcoat)




Then I decided not to self-sabotage too much, and set about making a flower with itty-bitty dots. :) Here's how it turned out:







For the background nails, I used Finger Paints I Spy-Der; for the flower petals I used Finger Paints Itsy Bitsy Spider, Julep Joanna and Impala Alegria; and for the center of the flower I used Zoya Jancyn and Julep Nadia.

I never thought this type of painting was easy--I was always pretty darn impressed by it. But attempting it, even in this ridiculously simple format made it clear to me the sort of talent that goes into assembling something beautiful from little points of color. There is no blending, except what your eyes do from a distance. And keeping the dots the same size? Oh, just forget it. I thought that since I've had a little experience with dotting tools at this point in my nail art career that might help--no way no how. It's crazy talk, I tell ya. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I think I should have pretended I was making a sunset, lol! So this was a fun and informative exercise into this type of painting, and even if it didn't come out quite like I saw it in my head, I do like the effect and I'm pretty happy with it.

Don't forget to check out the other manicures inspired by Seurat, linked below! And thanks for taking a look. :)

Hugs and love,
M.


12 comments:

  1. Aw it's real pretty - I love the idea of a picture made up of dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love that you always stop by with a kind word--thanks so much for that!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is so pretty and subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually looks pretty cool! I can't imagine the work & effort put into it (O_O), I can only congratulate you on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Pointillism is NOT as easy as peeps think. LOL

    Aw, you're giving me flashbacks! Learning 'The Masters' techniques in an attempt to better understand them was one of the many tortures, oops! I mean lessons, that art Profs like to share in class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, absolutely not! I love the sound of that class though...I've never taken an art class and I think it might be time, I'm getting more and more interested in these techniques. :)

      Delete
    2. ART100 will teach you basic color theory & how to use core mediums. If you do go further in the Art world, be prepared to paint/draw lots & lots of still lifes! LOL One Prof had a permanent still life in his class & no matter what style or artist we were studying, we had to use that tableau. Boring! It did make our portfolios consistent w/just the style changing, not the content, on each page. Art History is another useful class if you can stay awake thru 100's of yrs worth of Madonna & Child paintings. LOL

      Delete
    3. Wow! Yeah, I can see how that would get a little boring, lol. I did love Art History, but never really felt I had any skill for drawing myself, but now that I'm trying to do more freehand stuff, it might be good (and fun!) to learn some basic techniques. I'm a scrapbooker and 'paper artist' too, so it would help there...

      Delete
  6. I really love how this looks!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day--leave me a comment!