Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Review: Authority Cosmetics polish (Part 2!)

(The polishes in this post were sent for my honest review.)

Hello again!

I'm back with part 2 of my review of Authority Cosmetic's nail polish line. If you missed part one, check it out by clicking here--there are some awesome polishes there, and you don't want to miss them. :)

But now, let's turn out attention to the remaining lovelies in the collection, starting with Paradise, a beautiful, bright sky blue creme:


Authority Cosmetics Paradise, artificial light




The formula on this, and the other cremes, is amazing. They apply easily, not too think or too thick. They self-level beautifully on the second coat and, and are smooth and shiny--you don't really need topcoat with these, but I am a topcoat junkie and am showing them to you with topcoat anyway. I adore this shade of blue--it's bright, fun, very wearable, and just happens to perfectly match one of my tops. So of course I love it. :)


And you know I have a soft spot in my heart for reds, so you'll probably guess that this next one is one of my favorites, and you'd be right. This is Saint Valentine, a perfect pin-up cherry red creme:


Authority Cosmetics Saint Valentine, artificial light





Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! This is, in my opinion, the perfect red creme. Want that Hollywood-glam pin-up look? You got it. Need a heart-red for Valentine's Day? Check. Need a red that looks like fresh blood for Halloween? Here you go. Want that bright, happy Christmas red? Yup-a-rooni! (yes, that's right, yup-a-rooni. Don't judge me.) You'd never think that the same red could play all those roles for you, would you? ::does happy dance::.

This is two coats, and just like the other cremes in the collection, it's absolutely amazing to work with and wear, with or without topcoat.


Next let's look at a polish that's out of this world...Authority Cosmetics Cosmic (sorry...I just couldn't help it...). Cosmic is a ocean blue metallic shimmer:


Authority Cosmetics Cosmic, artificial light





This is two coats of cosmic, and is one of several shimmers in the collection. This one flirts with the line between shimmer and metallic, but is still very easy to apply--I didn't have any visible brushstroke issues, and had the same experience with formula as with the cremes. No pooling, not dragging, smooth application and self-leveling on the second coat. This blue is also very wearable, and I love the sparkly, shimmery shine, even without topcoat.


The next polish, Surf's Up, is a bit of a chameleon; a bright, almost neon, coral, this polish travels the range of coral from the pink side to the orange side depending on the light you're in. For the most part, this is how it looked on me:


Authority Cosmetics Surf's Up, artificial light



This is 3 coats, but you will likely only need two; my problem here was again that annoying white bang mark on my middle finger. The formula was great, as with the other cremes. I love how vibrant this color is; it makes me feel like I have beautiful hibiscus flowers on my fingers. I mentioned that this comes close to being a neon--it doesn't quite cross over that line, and has none of the issues that go along with neons (like flat finish or application issues). If you love corals and/or bright colors, this is for you.


And I've saved one of the best for last: Emerald Sky. This is a blackened teal shimmer, very blue-leaning, with a hint of gentle purple duochrome:


Authority Cosmetics Emerald Sky, artificial light









I've varied the artificial light here so you could see how the polish looks in direct light and indirect light. You can see that it looks almost metallic in direct light, with a bright flash of light. When the light is indirect, it looks almost like a blue-and-black flecked finish, with a gorgeous visual texture. While the duochrome shows more strongly in the bottle, you do get gentle hints of purple around the edges, enough to make the polish unique and special. This is one of the prettiest teals I've ever seen.

And so, we come to the end of the polishes in this line--for now. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next, but for the time being, I think this is a wonderful set of polishes to release for a first collection. Over only 10 polishes, she has polishes which are representative  of each season, and of almost any mood you're in. Almost ever single one is highly wearable without being boring or 'same-old'. While she could have easily put out a collection of safe colors, she made some careful but interesting choices, I think--an avocado green instead of a grass green, a teal duochrome instead of a typical blue-purple one. It's not an easy balance to avoid the 'typical' colors while still remaining wearable, I think.

In terms of formula, I remain very impressed at the top-quality, major-brand-worthy quality of the formula on polishes that are 5-free, vegan-friendly, and of course cruelty-free (all made in the US). As I mentioned yesterday, in my experience, it's not easy to take all of that stuff out and still have a good formula, let alone a great formula, and I've tried plenty of such polishes that left much to be desired. I believe that this is an impressive line of excellent polishes that will keep your conscience clear and your fingers pretty. I am very happy to recommend them to you.

You can find these polishes in her shop by clicking here. She also has a Facebook page here where you can follow her and get notice about any news regarding her line and her shop.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Have a wonderful Hallow's Eve Eve...
M.

(The polishes in this post were sent for my honest review.)


2 comments:

  1. Now THAT is a red! It's perfection. I think you hit the nail on the head when you compared it to a pin-up red! Emerald Sky is ahhhh-mazing! I have been looking for this color for so long, but they usually take the "blackened" part of blackened teal too far and they always end up too dark. This is just spot on. Thanks so much for introducing me to this brand! I'm in love <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure darling! I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!