Sunday, May 17, 2015

Review and How-to-use: MoYou London Gothic Plate 09

(Nothing to disclose)

Hello!!

I'm back today with a how-to-use for one of my all-time favorite MoYou London plates, Gothic 09. I've actually already shown you two manis using this plate and I can't believe it's taken me this long to show you this one, so let's get down to it!

First off, here is the video review I made:




And here are the still shots of this lovely plate:

MoYou London Gothic Collection 09
MoYou London Gothic Collection 09

MoYou London Gothic Collection 09


Here it is next to a standard Konad plate so you can get a feel for how big the images on the plate are:


MoYou London Gothic Collection 09 vs. Konad


Okay, so! Now for the nitty-gritty: how do you use this plate?

I always encourage you to think outside of the box with these collage-style plates, and this one has so much to offer if you think in terms of the patterns rather than just the overall concept. Yes, the stained-glass possibilities and the religious themes are here, and they are awesome. However, I think there is a lot more you can do with this, most of it elegant, sophisticated, and amazing.



1) Religious elements:


Religious elements on Gothic 09
There are a couple of crosses and a gorgeous angel on here that would work for Christmas manicures, Easter manicures, baptisms, first communions...And while we're on the subject...



2) Shrink that angel! 

If you have longer/wider nails, you might be able to get a fair amount of him on your nails without using the shrinking technique, but when you do use it, you can get a clear, beautiful manicure using his face and his hands, which preserves the praying posture. I used this technique for my manicure based on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett:


Inspired by Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett

(Click here for details about this manicure.)



3) Art deco full-nail images: 


Art Deco full-nail images

I love love love all the deco elements on this plate; a few days ago I showed you this mani I did using them:

Art Deco mani using Gothic 09

(Click here for full details on this mani.)



4) Scroll-work elements: 

 
Scroll-work elements on Gothic 09

If you love little flourishes of filigree--and you know I do--this plate has a few lovely surprises. Use your piece of paper with the hole cut out to judge how each of these will look on your nail, since they aren't big enough to be full-nail images on their own.



5) Don't forget the little details: 

Little touches on Gothic 09

Don't miss the rosettes and the different fleurs de lits hovering around the edges...


6) And most of all, covering nearly the entire plate, you can have almost any type of stained-glass type image you want here:


Stained-glass elements on Gothic 09

It would have been easier for me to circle the bits that aren't stained-glass friendly, lol! You can get a modern look, a deco look, shells and circles, whatever you want. I wanted to use this element of the plate to make a new mani for today, and decided to go a little cosmic...



For this manicure I started with a base of Barielle Blackened Bleu, and then put on a coat of Barielle Angel Dust. Then I stamped over it using Barry M Silver Foil, and Gothic 09:


These are the voyages of the starship PolishGasm


Our five year mission:


To buy and swatch as many awesome polishes as possible before the bank account empties out

I. Love. This. Mani. It's like you're looking out at the universe through the glass of some fancy spaceship, the kind that people will go on for their vacations 100 years from now when they take a trip to the moon. Or, it's like some sort of futuristic cosmic lace--I would wear that dress, hands down, no problem. :)

I hope you like the mani as much as I do, but mostly I hope this post has helped you see all of the amazing possibilities in this plate!

Happy stamping,
M.


44 comments:

  1. Pretty awesome plate and manis, and you nailed that description on the last mani, perfect way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the thought of the galaxy behind the windows...

      Delete
  2. Some really nice stamping you got with this plate. I've been really liking collage plates a lot. There so fun to use and you always get something a bit different each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes yes...there are so many different ways to look at the different parts. I love them. :)

      Delete
  3. All your manis are just wonderful! Thanks for showing how this plate can be used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Glad it was helpful! It's so easy to find yourself limited by the name of the plate!

      Delete
  4. Lovely plate, great to see so many stamping options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these manis are gorgeous especially the last one!! I adore your collage plate reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that makes my day/week/month. :) :) :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic post! I love collage plates, but I do struggle a bit sometimes with figuring out how to use them. I love how you've used the elements so differently in each mani. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be so intimidating, you really have to bend the brain with these, but it's so worth it!

      Delete
  7. Love these looks! They are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and gorgeous mani's x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic review! I love how you think outside the box with this plate! Gorgeous manis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect blog post! I love collage style plates, but it can be very hard to force yourself to look at pieces at a time rather than the whole image. I suspect it probably has something to do with right-brained left-brained too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very hard. I've picked up plates like this I've owned for months and suddenly seen something I never saw before, lol!

      Delete
  11. Wow! This is a great post! The last manicure you posted is amazing! It does look just like stained glass windows. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great review and a beautiful plate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great plate! And the stamping you did is so pretty<3

    xoxo, Nyx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those big plates but I'm always feeling lost when I look at them, and then my nails, unable to get the complete design. But I love the way you explain how to use them !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These plates can definitely be intimidating, for sure!

      Delete
  15. I adore your thorough reviews on plates especially when it comes to the large ones like this that I normally am iffy about. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's amazing review so helpful. Both the manis looks great :) Nice tutorial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! I'm glad it was helpful! :)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful manis. I always find it difficult to work with full image theme plates, your tips are very helpful. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful plate. Love your looks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hands down for those manis for yours. Fab artwork

    ReplyDelete

Make my day--leave me a comment!