Saturday, June 30, 2012

NOTD: Faux water marble stamped nails

Hello!!

First, this is my last post for the day, I promise, lol. I got myself a little behind and I'm trying to catch up.

Second, this post is going to do double-duty. I had several people ask me how well the faux water marble stamp on the new Bundle Monster plate (BM-320) actually simulates a water-marble pattern, so I wanted to test that out. Luckily for me, I knew I had a summer water-marble challenge looming on the horizon that I was trying to find a way to do despite the fact that I am water-marble challenged! Don't you love it when things work out like that? :)

To try to simulate a water marble as best I could with this stamp, I used 2-3 polishes, depending on the nail. I brushed stripes of polish over the plate, trying to get a random pattern. Then I scraped in the direction of the stripes, and stamped:



I started with Revlon's Smoldering as a base, and I used China Glaze's Cherish (light green metallic), Metallic Muse (light blue), and Avalanche (light purple metallic) to do the stamping. If I did it again, I'd use a darker color for one of the three (probably a darker purple since purple is the most dominant color in Smoldering).

One of the cool things about this technique is that if you mess up when you stamp, it's not the end of the world--you can double up on the stamping and it just looks like a more in-depth water marble (that's what happened on my middle finger, you may have already figured it out, lol).

My conclusion is that this stamp can give you a faux water-marble effect pretty well, at least if you use the right set of colors. I'm not sure how well it will work with more strongly contrasting colors...I'll have to try that next. :)

Thanks for stopping by, and please check out the other blogger's water marbles--most of which are *actual* true water water marbles. :)

M.


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, it looks just like a water marble :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Next I'm going to try to do some really different colors and see if I can get a decent effect that way...

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!