Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Indie-licious review: The Nail Junkie Halloween Collection

Hello!

Okay, I admit it. I have a polish crush. You may have noticed...it's on The Nail Junkie.

I did a review of two of her polishes a little while back--Snake and Tiger--and talked about not just how amazing the polishes are, but the other thoughtful details she put into packing them. So I was very excited to find out shortly after that post that she was releasing a Halloween collection, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Gorgeous indie polish + Halloween = massive WIN!

I hurried to buy myself more of her beauties, and I'm going to show you two of the Halloween polishes today. The polishes came packaged just as beautifully as the first polishes I purchased, in cardboard tubes, and with the cutie balm and the felt glitter removers. This time, however, she also sent me my very own Halloween treats--trick-or-treat sized fruit snacks and rice-krispie treats. Much nomming was done. :)

But on to the polishes! First up, Frankenstein:

Frankenstein in the shade

Frankenstein in the sun

Frankenstein is the color that grass would be if it had been turned into zombie grass, with an awesome zombie-pus mustard shimmer. It contains a liberal amount of black hexes and bar glitter, which are meant to represent the nuts, bolts, and stitches of Frankenstein. As much fun as I'm having describing it in Halloween terms, I can see myself wearing this the rest of the year, as well. This is two coats, with a little bit of dabbing to get the glitters even, but no fishing needed. Application was a dream, opaque and beautiful.


And next, Pumpkin:


Pumpkin in the shade

Pumpkin in direct light
Pumpkin is a shimmer with a rich pumpkin-orange base, along with green-apple medium and small hex glitters. This is two coats, and I didn't have to fish or dab to get this coverage; application was a dream. I love the depth that this polish creates--the orange in coat two covers some of the glitter partially (but not in that gross lumpy way that some glitter polishes do) but leaves enough color to give a range of glimmer effects from the glitters. There is a perfect match here between the shade of orange in the base and the shade of green in the glitter--if she had gone a shade or two off in either, I don't think the effect would be so magical. When I look at this I see beautiful pumpkin patches in the afternoon sunlight and crisp fall air. Great for Halloween manicures, of course, but a solid color for all of fall, as well. I'm going to try this in a gradient with a shimmery brown for a Thanksgiving manicure.

Both of these polishes easily met the high standard that had been set for me by Snake and Tiger, and I couldn't be happier with them. What sets The Nail Junkie apart for me is the base colors--every one I've seen could easily be a stunning polish on its own, and despite that, still work well with the glitters. Neither overtakes the other; they work well together to create a lovely effect. These polishes don't rely on a ton of glitter or a ton of colors to make them beautiful--they are carefully planned and edited to accomplish exactly the targeted effect. Bravo.

You can find The Nail Junkie's Halloween collection (along with her other polishes) by clicking here. They sell for $10 each, with free shipping in the US, and $5 flat rate shipping internationally. And, she donates 10% of each purchase to charity. They are also cruelty-free and 3-free. Check them out--you won't be sorry. :)

Thanks for taking a look!

M.

(the polishes reviewed in this post were purchased with my own money.)


2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love this review! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I only speak the truth as I see it, you're the one who makes the awesomeness. :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!