Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Before & After: Tri-color challenge April

Hello!!

You may remember that in my Crumpet's Nail Tarts group, we're doing a thing called the Tri-Polish Challenge for the next few months. This challenge works a bit differently; each month, we are given three colors, and have to choose a polish to represent each color. Then we have to make 4 manicures; three of these manicures must use two of the colors, and one must use all three. We are allowed to use toppers and black, white, silver and gold if needed, as well.

I almost didn't participate this month; the colors are pink, orange and turquoise (not blue). You know I don't have many pinks, so that already makes it tough, but I thought I didn't have a turquoise. But then the other day when I was going through my favorite blues, I realized that I *do* have a turquoise--Zoya Zuzu! So I got all kinds of excited and picked out an orange to complete the trio. Sitting in my untrieds was the the lovely LeChat Kiss-N-Tell, so I decided to go with that. And since I just got Julep Avery in my Julep box this month, I figured that would be perfect.

Yeah, so, well, see, there are problems.

Both Julep Avery and Zoya Zuza look like they should stamp well, but they kind of don't...at least not with one another. LeChat Kiss-N-Tell doesn't even pretend it's gonna stamp--it's pretty sheer. So this is going to add a different dimension of difficulty for me--one level of difficulty is colors I normally wouldn't use, second level is colors I wouldn't normally combine, and third is severely limited stamping abilities. Hmmm.

Challenge. Accepted.

For today's mani, I started with a base of Kiss-N-Tell, a bright, squishy neon orange jelly:

LeChat Kiss-N-Tell



The first thing I tried was to stamp on this with Julep Avery--I thought it would look pretty to have some pink flowers against the orange base. I still believe that...but the stamping didn't show. Sigh.

So, I fell back on my ability to incorporate white into the manicure, and stamped with Konad white, using Konad plate m64. Then using my dotting tool, I put white dots around the flowers; when that was dry, I put dots of Avery on top of the white dots, so the pink would show:





I used to have a skort similar to this--it was white with the pattern printed in orange and pink, in almost these exact shades. I think I might have it somewhere...Maybe I need to dig it out!

BTW, if you've read this far, keep reading--I have a bit of news. :) Today I reached 600 followers combined on GFC and on Bloglovin'!! I figure there is some overlap, so I estimate that puts me at about 500 unique followers. That means it's time for a giveaway!! I'm going to time the giveaway to coincide in some way with my one-year blogiversary, which is coming up on the 20th. So stay tuned for that!!

Thanks for taking a look...:) Please check out the other manicures in the challenge, linked below. :)

Big hugs and much love,
M.

20 comments:

  1. Love this post! I keep thinking that I need to rely less on stamping...but I love it so much! We'll make it through this month's colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, stamping is my crutch...>.>...Yes, we'll make it through to the other side, where glue, gray and red await!

      Delete
  2. The polish itself is already gorgeous, but wow! After you added the stamps, it's soooooo pretty *o*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite all the hurdles you came by, your mani turned out really pretty and the colours make a very cute combination! That orange is fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet of you, thank you! :) And I was so happy with the polish, other than it being a bit thin. I have to try more of that brand...

      Delete
  4. Yay! Congratulations on the followers :) Love the mani, it is so bright and clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so excited! :) You guys are awesome to support my dorky blog. :)

      Delete
  5. That neon is so perfect! Like from me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad, huh? I think over undies it might even have a slight pink-orange duochrome effect at the edge...the first couple of layers had that, but because I had to build it up so much it disappeared. :)

      Delete
  6. oh you smart little stamper ! i love this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee hee hee hee...I'm a wiley one! :) (and thank you!)

      Delete
  7. Love the combo of the dots and the flowers! They look like they were meant to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them! I'm a huge fan of orange and pink together, it's just so freaking happy! That orange is fantastic too <3 Great job as always sweets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! They're one of my new favorite combinations, which is strange since I'm not big on pink...but with orange I love it. :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!