Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Before & After: Mayan Era

Hello!

This week's time period in my Llama Nails challenge is the Mayan Era! One of the coolest facts I know about Mayan culture is that they had a sport that was the forerunner of basketball; they played on a stone court with a rubber ball that they had to throw through stone rings mounted on the wall. Sounds like a lot of fun, except that often the losers were killed. That part probably wasn't so fun.

I've never hidden the fact that I have a little bit of a dark sense of humor, and to my mind my newly aquired NerdLacquer in Warrior Ethos was the perfect polish to use as a base for this manicure in light of that. Both the name and the color of the polish--a red base with gold and black glitter--seem perfect to represent that basketball-related part of Mayan culture:

NerdLacquer Warrior Ethos


Mmm, NerdLacquer goodness

Add caption
Then I decorated the base using Barry M Gold Foil and Cheeky plate C; that pattern has a sort of Mayan decorative look to it to me. Finally I finished off with a tribal skull image from Cheeky plate L and Konad Black, to represent the sad fate of the losing team leader:






I love how this came out. A bit dark and maybe a bit morbid, but the reality is, the humankind can be dark sometimes! They Mayan culture certainly isn't the only one that has a history games and death being interrelated (the Ancient Romans are probably the king of that particular realm, lol), and I've always thought it was a really interesting connection to modern basketball. So I just had to do it!

Thanks for taking a look, and please check out the other Mayan manicures, which will almost certainly be less bloody than mine. :)

Hugs,
M.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome mani! A little history lesson is good too. I love the color combo and how this turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Maybe a little too much history, lol! <3

      Delete
  2. Oh my god that nerdlaquer is TO DIE FOR. I love the facts - I am one of these people who always reads what people write about their manis and it's always nice to stumble across something I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree--that was one of the Nerdlacquers I fell in love with almost a year ago, and I was so lucky to finally get it during her last restock. And I'm glad you enjoyed the trivia! :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!