Saturday, April 27, 2013

Review: My picks from the Color Club Kaleidoscope collection

Hello!!

I have most of a relatively new Color Club collection to show you today: The Kaleidoscope collection. Maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places, but I haven't really seen this around the blogosphere, which I find strange--there are some pretty colors here, and perfect for the current season. I liked most of the collection, so I bought most of the collection, and will show you all of the ones I got. :)

I'm not quite sure why it's named 'Kaleidoscope' and why the byline is 'the possibilities are endless',  and I haven't been able to find an answer to that, but my speculation is that the collection is designed around the flakie, with the idea that the flakie adds to the versatility of the other polishes. Anyway, that's my guess and I'm stickin' to it. :)

The first color is Abyss, a pretty turquoise creme that's just perfect for summer:


Color Club Abyss, indirect sun

Color Club Abyss, direct sun
This is two coats with topcoat. The formula on all of the polishes was good, and applied well.

This may not be the most unique color--possibly I'm attracted to it because I don't have a plain turquoise in my collection--but even if so, it's a well-done version of a classic color. Gorgeous!


Next up is In Theory, a superb peach creme:


Color Club In Theory, indirect sun

Color Club In Theory, direct sun

In direct light, the more orange side of the peach comes out, while when out of direct sun, you get a deeper coral aspect to it. It's the sort of color that's universally flattering, and it's interesting while also being understated. This is two coats with topcoat (and a little Seche shrinkage >.<)


And now for something completely different: Bright Night:

Color Club Bright Night, in direct sun

Color Club Bright Night, indirect sunlight

This is two coats with no topcoat, because I wanted to show you the cool rubberized matte finish. I have another polish that's similar in color, but this finish with this color knocks it out of the park for me. As you can tell from my first picture especially, this polish will show any defects if you aren't careful--in this case, my nails had begun to take a fair amount of abuse from the move, and had a little bit of shredding on the nail that I missed and didn't buff out--and you can see it as a few teeny bumps on my index and middle finger. This is the sort of thing that normally wouldn't show under other polishes, but this one is a bit persnickety that way...so when you use this polish, do a double-check for any issues like that, and if you have ridges or dents, you might want to use two coats of base coat, or a ridge filler. But I think it's worth it. :)

Next is Evolution, a pretty robin's-egg blue creme:

Color Club Evolution


Color Club Evolution

This is two coats with topcoat, and again the formula was excellent. It practically applied itself, and made my nails look like smooth porcelain. Again possibly not the most unique polish, but also again, a classic done well. I didn't have a polish this color, so I'm extremely happy.

I've saved Pearl-Spective for last; it's a flakie topper that is a much smaller, finer flakie than I've seen before, with a gentle pink-purple flash to it. First I'm showing it over Color Club Endless Summer (which is from their Fiesta collection...stayed tuned for that one!); of all the polishes I tried this over, this is the one that photographed the detail of it best:


Color Club Pearl-Spective over Color Club Endless Summer




And here is Pearl-Spective over Evolution, so you can see what it does over a lighter, more pastel color:


Color Club Pearl-Spective over Color Club Evolution 


If you're a polish collector like me, you have one or two (>.>) flakie toppers. This one is different from the other ones I have in that the flakes are much more minimal, and so create a more over-all shimmer effect. The color flash is more dedicated to the pink/purple realm rather than being more rainbow, as well. For both of these reasons, I'm very glad I bought it and feel it adds something unique to my collection.

What do you think? A pretty, fun collection, or are you just not impressed? I think it does a good job of having one foot in spring and one foot in summer in a fun way. I'm already having some nail art adventures with them... :)

Thanks for taking a look!! Big hugs,
M.

(The polishes in this review were purchased with my own money.)

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a great collection! Perfect colors for the spring and summer. I need to check them out now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes! I got mine at www.head2toebeauty.com, if you have a hard time finding them by you. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooooh! Evolution is so pretty! <3

    ReplyDelete

Make my day--leave me a comment!