Monday, April 1, 2013

Before & After: Rainbow Butterflies

Hello!

Today I'm doing something a little different--a twin post with the very sweet Laura of Little Laura Loves! Laura discovered stamping recently and is diving into it with gusto! She has been playing with the Salon Express stamping plates, so we decided to use the butterfly image on SE18.

I started with a base of Julep Helen, a soft mauve creme:

Julep Helen


Julep Helen

Then I wanted to stamp a spray of butterflies across the nail in a rainbow of colors, almost like the butterfly is changing color as it goes:






I used my Sally Hansen Insta-Dris for this, in Lightning, Orange Impulse, Rapid Red, Brisk Blue, and Going Grape!. Finally, I thought a layer of China Glaze Fairy Dust would give it a magical fairy quality, but I think it was a misstep:




It just seems like a bit too much, and I prefer the crisp contrast of colors without the extra sparkle. What do you think?

Thanks so much for stopping by, and please don't forget to check out what Laura did with the image by clicking here.

Hugs,
M.




Salon Express SE18
SH lightning, orange impulse, rapid red, brisk blue, grape going
Julep Helen
China Glaze Fairy Dust

15 comments:

  1. This is such a cool manicure. Love rainbows and I agree, it does look better without the sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty!! I love the look of this! If you do not like the glitter on top maybe it would have looked good to you under the butterflies?? What do you think??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you're right that it might be better if the glitter had been under it. But I think still the contrast with the cremes would be blurred a bit...I'll have to play around with it and see...:)

      Delete
  3. I love these! I might have to try them for myself, I've been a sucker for anything rainbow lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you do, please let me see! :)

      Delete
  4. I agree, better without the sparkles. The sparkles are not too overwhelming, though. How did you meet Laura?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't actually met her so much. She sent me an e-mail asking some questions about nail stamping. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks soooo much again for twin posting with me !! So jealous that your stamping so this crisp. Will keep practicing. This mani is beautiful.

    Laura

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the design....I love the without sparkles but I can't lie, I'm a sucker for China Glaze Fairy Dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, I must admit. It's one of my top favorite polishes. :)

      Delete
  7. This is so cute! I love butterflies so this is perfectly suited to me :-) I prefer it without the glitter as the butterflies are clearer

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this color and I think your stamping is awesome!

    :) Kali

    ReplyDelete

Make my day--leave me a comment!