Monday, November 26, 2012

MSMD Before & After: Home-made Milky Glitter

Hello!!

I recently saw a very cool tip on how to make your own milky glitter from any glitter you own here on Nouveau Cheap's blog. Of course I loved the idea of getting more use out of glitters I already have, and I'm familiar with the glitter sandwich concept, so I had to try it. The only problem was I didn't have a milky base polish suitable to do it.

Luckily for me, the Wet n Wild petites went on sale at CVS, and I got the whole box for $0.99...and one of the ones included, Break The Ice, seemed perfect for this purpose. :)

For my glitter, I decided to go with Glitzology's Sherwood Forest (Indie alert!), because I've been dying to use it, and it's such a bold glitter that I thought it would present an interesting challenge. Here's a look at the colors in the bottle:


Glitzology Sherwood Forest

I applied one coat of Break The Ice, and then one thick coat of Sherwood Forest, and topped it off with another thick coat of Break the Ice:


Wet n Wild Break The Ice + Glitzology Sherwood Forest + Break The Ice again



I absolutely love it. I put a thick coat of this because I thought I needed to, but I think I could have used a bit less. Also, I was surpised that the topper actually changed the color of the glitter somewhat! I thought the sheer white would just make a it bit occluded, I didn't think there would be a shift in the color scheme. :)

Of course I can't leave well enough alone, so I wanted to do some nail art over it. I stamped using China Glaze Holly Jolly, using a Cheeky XL Fauxnad plate. Then I added a few microbeads and pearls:


The glitter peeks out from under the stamping



I think it's so cool the way the glitter adds a subtle texture under the stamping--almost like a bit of a marble effect. I also really like the sprinkling of mirco-beads and pearls, but I wonder if I should have just kept it on one accent nail. Hmmm...

Thanks for taking a look!

Xoxox,
M.

13 comments:

  1. Pretty :) Love all the pearls on it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous !! And I like it the way it is !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty. i love the stamping and pearl accents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* the little microbeads and pearls as accents on the design! They fit perfectly with the milky base. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought the pearls might work with the milky base, but you never know until you do it, lol...:)

      Delete
  5. I love the stamping haha <3 gorgeous~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've loved that stamp for ages, but this is the first change I got to use it. :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!