Sunday, December 2, 2012

Before & After: Rocker Barbie

Hello!!

I've done a couple of out-of-season manicures this week, so I figure why not one more! I just finished another franken and thought I'd post it...And not only is it not very 'holiday season', it's not really even very 'me'.

You know I don't really care for pink, especially bright, bubble-gum Barbie pinks. They're lovely for other people, but just not my thing! Well, I recently got the Wet n Wild Mega Last mini set at CVS for $0.99, which was a killer price...and of course it included a pink. The good news about this was that since I knew I'd never wear it, it gave me a great reason to franken it into something I *would* wear, and would give me a little more experience with polish-making.

You'll also remember I reviewed the China Glaze Cirque du Soleil collection recently, and was a little bit frustrated by one of the glitters, Get Carried Away. I love the glitter, it's really pretty, but application is...odd. There is a bit too much glitter in it, and it's a bit thick, so it's hard to get a light coat of it (the sort of thing I prefer with glitter). I've heard on the internet that a bit of polish thinner helps, and I'm going to try that, but in the meantime I thought it would be a perfect way to start trying to franken with glitter.

Here is what I came up with when I was done; I call it Rocker Barbie, and it's a pink I can get behind, cause it has edge!:

Rocker Barbie


Rocker Barbie again


I decided to see what it would look like matted, and then of course I had to stamp on it, hee hee hee...I used Bundle Monster 323 for the barbed wire (with Pure Ice Silver Mercedes) and Cheeky 29 for the lips (with Wet n Wild Ebony Hates Chris):


Take that, stereotype Barbie!



Sealed with a Goth Barbie kiss





So what do you think? I love how the glitter is thinner, and I'm happy I managed to make the pink a bit darker and edgier. And I'd created my first glitter franken, so I'm slowly branching out. :)

Thanks for taking a look--I promise to be more seasonal soon!

5 comments:

  1. new follower!

    tobebioacaseofbeauty.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I had my eye on that W&W at CVS for .99 also, but decided it had too few colors that were "me". If I had been going to CVS for something else, I probably would have picked it up, but there were to many other stores to hit. I liked this franken, but then you matted it and I really liked it (nothing like matte to make a "not me" color more "me") and then you added the stamps, taking it to the level of LOVE. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, I like this better matted, for sure. And it cries out for edgy stamping, lol! I have to admit, I'm a bad, bad black friday shopper...CVS was the only store I hit...>.>

      Delete
  3. I like the OPI....didn't know they had a color like that-I don't buy many of theirs...Very pretty on your nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this isn't OPI, it's a franken I made. But I'm very flattered you'd think it was a professional polish! :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!