Tuesday, December 25, 2012

NOTD: Retro Aluminum Tinsel Tree

Hello!!

I've joined a new challenge group that I'm really excited about, the "Let It Snow!" Challenge. This challenge goes through winter into spring and has a weekly theme. It's been going on for a few weeks so far, but this is the first one I'm participating in; the prompt this week is 'Christmas/Holiday'. I thought it was fitting to post mine on Christmas Day.

This manicure involves a 'first' for me--my first jelly sandwich. I'm fairly jelly challenged, I have a horrible time getting them to go on right. But there are so many pretty jellies out there that are meant to layer with glitters, that I figured the time for me to figure it out is now.

I wanted to do a manicure reminiscent of those old aluminum Christmas trees they used to have in the 60s, with the metal 'needles' and the flourescentish colors.

I started with a base of Zoya Frida, then a layer of Wet n Wild In The Spotlight, then another layer of Frida:



Finally I finished off with some bright rhinestones to act as ornaments:


What do you think? At the very least it sort of looks like tinsel on a tree, but I think it captures the kitschy feel of those old fake trees.

I hope everyone has a very, very Merry Christmas. Enjoy you families and count all of your blessings; may your day be filled with love and peace.


Xoxox,
M.

Blogger 1.0 -

9 comments:

  1. This is excellent--I totally see the vintage Christmas tree! Hehe! Merry Christmas! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You have a Merry Christmas too! :)

      Delete
  2. The rhinestones really make this mani. Totts looks like a 60's tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to go with the bright colors because I remember seeing pictures of trees from that time with the craziest pinks and purples...:)

      Delete
  3. I remember those trees; it looks exactly as you intended! Merry Christmas to you and yours! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much! You have a very Merry Christmas, too. :)

      Delete
  4. The tinsel glitter, I loves it! You find such interesting glitters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Wet n Wild, but I've only ever seen it once, and I grabbed it when I did, lol. Zoya just came out with a similar one, tho...:)

      Delete
  5. haha what an ecletric christmas tree that looks like. :)
    can totally see what you mean there.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day--leave me a comment!