Sunday, July 15, 2012

NOTD: Precious Stones

Hello!

Today's theme in my Adventures In Stamping group is 'Precious Stones'. When the China Glaze Magnetix II collection showed up at my door, I instantly knew I wanted to do something with them for this challenge. The colors are just so jewel-toned, I couldn't resist. I wanted to do something that looked like jewels set in a medieval crown, or medieval rings. Here is what I came up with:

Medieval gems in the sun

Medieval gems in the shade

Medieval gems on the half-shell
To make these, I started with two coats of each polish (China Glaze Positively In Love, Sparks Will Fly, Con-Fused, and Get Charged), and applied the circle magnet to them. Then, I edged each nail with China Glaze Gold Fusion (same collection). I ended by putting little flakies from Color Club's Diamond Drops in each corner, to look like the 'settings' had little diamond chips around them. I'm still on the fence about whether I think it would have looked better without them; it looked a bit cleaner without them, but this gives a little extra flash).  And of course, covered the whole thing in Seche Vite.

I just love it when what's in your head ends up making it onto your nails...that doesn't happen very often!

Thanks for looking,

M.


14 comments:

  1. Que original!!!!
    Me encanta.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of an old book, with the golden edge. Im a huge booknerd, so I`m twice the fan of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge booknerd too, lol. I never thought of that, but it really does look like that, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Really interesting one! =)
    I think you'd get a better crown effect if you had used small rhinestones instead of the flakies. Still, I give you an A+ for the creativity! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're exactly right! And, one of the ladies in my stamping group mention she wanted to try it with the star magnet, which definitely would be prettier. Oh well, next time! :)

      Delete
  4. These are so creative and soooo cool! I actually have a weird suggestion... What do you think of Jenga nails? With the block tower starting on the pinky then transferring up onto all the rest of the nails? I just got the idea today and I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love the Jenga idea, that sounds very neat. If you do it, let me see! :)

      Delete
  5. Cool. It really does look like antique jewellery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is one of my favorite manicures, I think. :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!