Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rainbow Favorites and NOTD Before & After: Misa Sisterhood (or, George Costanza in da house!)

Hello!

Time for my next favorite, my favorite orange. I love orange polishes, but they have to be the right shade of orange. A lot of oranges are neons, and that's not the best for my skin color. My favorites are the rich, saturated oranges that go with my olive undertones, and those are more rare. So I present to you this beauty, Misa's Sisterhood:





This polish is a glowy orange with a flash of yellow that seems to be lit from within; look at the light that seems to just come out of it in that top picture!

As you can see in this picture, application was really good, except for a bit of a ding I cause on my index finger. It took three coats to cover it, and I usually only put on two coats. So what? Big deal! Except...well...after those coats sat with the Seche Vite for a while, I got some really massive shrinkage.

Yes, it's true. This is only my second case of shrinkage (you'll see the first later in the week), and when the first happened, I wasn't sure why. I think I know now--in both cases I had three coats of polish instead of my normal 1 or 2, and I don't think I let the second dry enough before I put on the third. All of this time when people have talked about Seche Vite and shrinkage, I've been skeptical--never happens to me, pshaw! Well, I was wrong. It happened, and it happened BAD. By the following morning, my nails quite literally looked wrinkled. And that was one part of my body I thought I'd never have to worry about looking that way. *shudders*

So it was just as well I was planning on stamping it the next day anyway... But when you have a polish this bright, unless you want to cover it up, there's not a lot you can do with it that isn't going to push it over into that bad-taste zone, especially since I'm not 15 anymore. So after some thought, I decided to go with a tone-on-tone stamping, with a beautiful coral polish, China Glaze's Flirty Tankini:

Gorgeous...but if you look closely, you can see the wrinkles!!!

This was taken later in the day--you can see the wrinkles AND now it's coming up off the tips too!!!
I stamped with scrollwork from Bundle Monster BM-314. The first picture shows how the color looks similar, but gives a flash of pink when the light hits it. I love the combination of these two colors.

Oh! Another thing I learned during this manicure. Whenever I stamp, I use Seche Vite over the image. However, after putting it on my thumb and index finger, I noticed it actually was making the stamp harder to see, the opposite of what normally happens! So I stopped, and particularly in the first picture you can see how the contrast is dulled a bit on the index finger compared to the others. I guess this happens with neons? I don't really use them that much, so I'm assuming that's why, since Flirty Tankini is a neon. If anyone has any ideas about why this happened, please let me know! :)

Regardless, I was happy with the combination and will use it again. I hope you like it and that you like my favorite orange!

Thanks for reading, and please check out the other bloggers who are participating in the Rainbow Favorites challenge, shown below. :)

M.



6 comments:

  1. I love oranges too. This is a beautiful one and the stamping color combo you used is perfect. BTW, I never have shrinkage with Seche Vite either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's another one by Sinful colors that I like a lot...can't think of the name...grrrr!

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful and power orange. (Sorry my english is bad)

    Melina

    www.comotepintaste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it gorgeous! And your English is great. :)

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!