Sunday, July 29, 2012

WARNING R-RATED: NOTD inspired by 'Fifty Shades of Grey'

Hello!



Right off the bat I want to warn you that if you are offended by the topics raised by the book 'Fifty Shades of Grey', this manicure may not be for you, and you might want to skip this post and come back tomorrow. I'm going to put a warning up front here, in the title, and put up a warning picture as my first picture here, so that any thumbnail shown in Bloglovin' or elsewhere won't give you a surprise you didn't want to get, lol. I respect that this topic might not be for everyone.

Okay, now let's get to it! Like every other red-blooded American woman out there who doesn't live under a rock, I'm aware of the controversy that has been raised by the book 'Fifty Shades of Grey', and I've been involved in a number of discussions about the type of content it contains with various people. In the course of one of those conversations, I was challenged to do a manicure that reflected that content when I mentioned I enjoyed nail art challenges because they get me to stretch my artistic legs. How can I turn down such a challenge-related challenge!

Here is what I came up with:

Full manicure


Close-up on the fingers


Close-up on the thumb
For my base colors, I used China Glaze Adventure Red-y on my ring finger, and Milani red sparkle on the rest. I stamped using Pure Ice's Silver Mercedes, and used Bundle Monster plate BM12 for the chains, and Red Angel plates  RA111 and RA113 for the women.

No matter whether you like the book or not, it certainly raises interesting and important questions about what should be considered acceptable in this particular realm of our lives!

Thanks for reading. :)

M.


21 comments:

  1. I didn't particularly like the books, not because of the content, that didn't bother me so much, I just didn't enjoy the style of writing. I DO like this manicure though, no doubt to anyone who has read the books that it's a Fifty Shades inspired mani! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the books, they weren't my favorite for a couple of reasons. And thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you decided to post this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you decided to post this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really creative mani!=)
    I haven't read this book yet... What did you think? Apart from all of the fuss over it, what's your opinion? I've heard ppl saying the idea was ok but the writting itself was poor. Some other ppl, Twilight fanatics, say it was perfect, but again, anything slightly similar to that book is just perfect, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send you an answer in e-mail, too much opinion for a comment, lol!

      Delete
  5. Love it! I am a fan of the books, read all 3, and I think you captured the essence with this mani! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great mani!! I loved the books....and also did a mani based on them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks fantastic! You're very talented with nail art. While it's very thoughtful of you to put up a warning and disclaimer, I also think it's really tastefully done, yet edgy. Although I've never read the book, I love your manicure!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I was hoping it wasn't too crazy, but, yeah, it is definitely not for everyone, lol...

      Delete
  8. I haven't read the books but I understand what the main subject is about and I think you did a great job with this mani!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a little about the book but after this I'm def going to get it!! Awesome mani! But I've always loved things that are a bit controversial. Ha! Great job tho!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love things that are controversial. It's always good to stretch one's mind I think, and I love reading, thinking and talking through things like this. :) And thanks!

      Delete
  10. I have heard a little about the books but def gonna have to read it now!! Awesome mani tho. And personally I've always enjoyed things that may be somewhat controversial! Ha! But great job looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I love your mani better than the books lol, great mani!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 50 shades of grey movie
    The lovely characters awesome book.. The character in movie will be fantastic to see in theatre...
    Fifty Shades Of Grey... Moviee...Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely be interesting to see how they make it...

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!