Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rainbow favorites and NOTD Before & After: Zoya's Carly

Hello!

Today is my last rainbow favorites post, featuring purple.

This is another hard one for me, because I have about a hundred purples that I love. So I decided to go with one of my newer discoveries, Zoya's Carly, which I just got this week thanks to Zoya's GMA deal:



Carly is a rich royal, jewel-toned purple. In the bottle it looks like she's going to have a ton of silver glass-fleck showing, but it doesn't look like that on the nail. It's much more integrated into the purple, as you can see--so while there is glass-flecked prettiness, it doesn't have a speckled look, like you might expect (one of the reasons I love Zoya's spoon program, so I can see these things for myself before I buy). It's a gorgeous, non-controversial purple--seriously, if you don't like Carly, then you just don't like purple! :P

I've been wanting to try a diagonal gradient for a while now, so after wearing it a day, I picked another Zoya that I just got in the mail this week, Gilda, which is a light magenta color, to do a gradient with. Note: it's NOT pink. Okay, maybe it is, a little. Harumph.

Here is how it turned out:


I love it when things come out looking the way I hoped they would. I don't love it, however, when I forget to clean my cuticles before taking the picture!!! Argh!!!

It was nice, but I wanted to give it just a little extra oomph, so I stamped some thin lines over the lighter part of the gradient, using Bundle Monster plate BM-319, and China Glaze's Avalanche:


From far-ish away so you can see the effect

Up closer so you can see the detail
I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's not *bad* so much as it's just not great. I think I like the gradient without it, either alone, or with something else to give it a little kick. But I don't *dislike* it, so I'm not going to take it off before doing the next mani. :)

On a final note, you might have noticed you didn't see a rainbow favorites post on the color yellow. Okay, see, what had happened was? I did the post, right? And then this alien? He swooped down from a space-craft thing? And like, he looked me in the eye and said 'I HATE YELLOW, HUMAN!'. And then, um...he um...he grabbed my post and flew off with it!!!

Okay, so, believe it or not...that alien thing isn't really true. I know, right??!! The thing is, I don't really have but two or three yellow polishes, and they are really just for stamping. I don't really wear them on their own, so I don't feel right picking one and going 'this is my favorite yellow'. I do have some golds, however, and would be happy to do a favorite post on my favorite gold in place of the yellow, if anyone would like to see it. :)

With that, I will say goodnight! Thanks for reading, and please check out the other bloggers that did the rainbow favorites challenge, below. :)

M.




4 comments:

Make my day--leave me a comment!